Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sock Incompetence

I am proud to say my Frankenstein lawnmower is still cutting grass 13 years after it rolled off the showroom floor at Sam's. It is held together by zip ties, bicycle cables, part of a lawn chair, and my own will and ingenuity. I have two degrees in Electrical Engineering. Given enough tinkertoys and enough time, I am confident I could build a computer. Throughout my career, I have been directly responsible for securing and executing millions of dollars in business for my company. I solve the "hard" Sudoku puzzles in the back of the Southwest Airlines in-flight magazine.

But I am unable to match socks.

I discovered this troubling fact about myself the other night while trying to help fold clothes. Shockingly, not all socks are the same. Yes, I can tell white socks from non-white socks. I can also tell (usually) adult socks from kid socks. But did you know there are white socks with pink "Hanes" lettering on the toes? Blue lettering? Gray lettering? Gray heels? Gray toes? Dark stitching? No stitching? Worn out sock? New socks? In between socks? How did I never see this?

Fortunately, I have a good wife who helped me understand Sock Taxonomy.

Guess I'll stick with tinkertoys.

No comments: